Note: Transfer petition requests for the 2012-13 SY will only be accepted for extenuating circumstances that meet the McKinney ISD guidelines.
Student transfer petition request for the 2013-14 SY will only be accepted from January 22 to February 28, 2013. Petitions submitted outside of the acceptance dates will not be processed or retained. To obtain a petition form, please see your zoned campus principal for the upcoming school year.
Current 9th - 11th grade students may remain at their enrolled campus through graduation without requesting a transfer.
When reviewing petitions for student transfers, McKinney ISD will consider each request on an individual basis; however, the guidelines below are in place to ensure consistency in our process. The transfer petitions will be considered by the Board’s designee within 30 days of their receipt.
Transfer petitions for residents that moved in after the due date will be accepted and considered on an individual basis.
- Students may request an open enrollment transfer to McKinney North High School.
- Due to the rapid growth in MISD, most requests for student transfers to campuses projected at 90% of capacity or greater will be denied unless significant extenuating circumstances exist.
- Extenuating circumstances may include documented academic, legal, medical, psychological, or other special needs of students who seek to remain on a campus that they have attended for at least the previous year. If campus professionals concur that there is risk of harm to the student by reassigning him/her, the request to remain will be given priority consideration. See examples of special circumstances below. This is not an exhaustive list.
- Academic: Student retained or programmatic reasons (i.e. CTE program offered at only one campus)
- Legal: Court appointed or court mandated
- Medical and Psychological: Legitimate medical condition with a letter from a doctor
- Other: Bullying, harassment, contract on house in different zone
- All authorizations for K-12 student transfers are for a one-year period; petitions must be submitted annually. An approval for one year does not guarantee nor imply the approval of future transfers to the same campus or to the feeder campus. (Current 9th- 11th graders are exempt from submitting a transfer petition for the remainder of their high school careers)
- Sibling Transfers – Sibling status will not guarantee transfer approval. Requests to transfer to attend a school outside their attendance area with their sibling will be evaluated as all other requests and will not be given preference. Siblings must meet criteria for transfer eligibility.
- Transfers for siblings of students who are placed in self-contained special education units that are not located on every campus will be considered for a hardship intra-district transfer.
- All secondary transfers are subject to review by the University Interscholastic League.
- Students who are retained (in grades K-8) and asked to repeat a grade may also qualify for a hardship transfer. The one year transfer is for the first year after the student was retained from the zoned campus.
- An acceptable “Proof of Residency,” which verifies that the petitioner legally lives within the MISD attendance boundaries, must accompany each transfer petition form.
- A resident student whose parent or legal guardian anticipates moving into the assigned school attendance zone and provides evidence, such as a builder’s contract, earnest money contract, rental agreement, or a similar document, shall be admitted on a provisional basis of no more than one semester. If at the end of one semester, the parent or guardian is not actually residing within the assigned school attendance zone, the student shall be transfered to the campus within the resident attendance zone.
- The student transfer can be revoked by the school or district administration for lack of academic progress, if there is a violation of the attendance policy, and/or a violation of the McKinney ISD Student Code of Conduct (SCOC). Once a transfer has been revoked due to a student SCOC violation, the transfer benefit is no longer available for that individual student.
- All transfers are based on availability of space and are considered on a year-to-year basis.
- Transfer students will be responsible for providing transportation to and from campus.
Step 1: Parent/guardian will schedule a meeting with the campus principal to discuss the reason for the student transfer.
Step 2: Parent secures a transfer petition form from their campus principal.
Step 3: Parent/Guardian will submit transfer petition form, and appropriate documentation to Administrative Services for review. Send transfer petition request to:
McKinney, TX 75069
fax # 469-302-4153
District Transfer Review Process
- Transfer petitions will be reviewed and the first level of administrative services will deliver a decision within 30 days of receipt of transfer request.
- If petition is denied, the parent has 10 days to submit an appeal form to the second level of administrative services to be reviewed by the Director of Administrative Services or the Assistant Superintendent of Learner Support within 30 days.
- If appeal is denied, the parent has 10 days to request a hearing in front of the Board of Trustees, which will have 30 days to hear the transfer request.
- The decision of the Board is final.
The district policy on transfers can be found at: http://pol.tasb.org/Policy/Code/310?filter=FDB