We are a cohesive, diverse community providing engaging learning experiences for all.
We will provide engaging learning experiences so students can become effective communicators, quality contributors, and socially responsible citizens.
- Partnerships between students, parents, community members, and staff are foundational to educational success.
- Positive school culture and a safe environment foster growth.
- Everyone has inherent value and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.
- Learning is an active process requiring engaging tasks and engaging minds.
- Relevant and authentic experiences ignite continuous, deeper learning.
- Meaningful relationships enrich learning.
- Confidence fuels risk taking and higher achievement.
- Financial stewardship ensures a tomorrow for education.
One of the fastest growing school districts in Texas, McKinney ISD currently enrolls more than 24,500 students in 20 elementary schools, five middle schools, four alternative schools and one early childhood education school.
Click here to download a PDF of McKinney ISD's District Improvement Plan.
In the September 2014 issue of Money Magazine, McKinney ranked No. 1 on the Best Places to Live in America list. McKinney is the only Texas city in the top 10. Money editors and writers look at employment, schools, crime and safety and overall quality of life aspects to come up with the list. McKinney debuted on the Money Magazine list in 2008 at No. 14. In 2010, the city ranked as No. 5 on the list, and in 2012 McKinney was ranked the No. 2 Best Place to Live in America.
Also, in 2012, McKinney was named as one of the America's Promise Alliance's 100 Best Communities for Young People presented by ING. The national award recognizes outstanding and innovative work by cities across the country to address the high school dropout rate, and for programs and services that make each city an outstanding place for youth to live, learn and grow.
Other Recent District Awards/Honors:
- 6 NCEA Higher Performing Schools (formerly Just for the Kids Honor Roll)
- 2014 U.S. News & World Report High School Rankings: McKinney HS (Gold Medal, #47 in Texas, #416 Nationally [Top 2.1%]), McKinney Boyd HS (Gold Medal, #53 in Texas, #483 Nationally [Top 2.4%]), McKinney North HS (Silver Medal, #55 in Texas, #501 Nationally [Top 2.58%])
- Nine United Way/Cooper Institute Healthy Zone Schools
- Four NCLB National Blue Ribbon Schools
- Two Intel Schools of Distinction for Innovative Teaching in Science and Engineering
- Three AVID Demonstration Schools
- SAT/ACT scores exceed national averages
- 1 of only 388 Districts in the Nation and 1 of only 21 school districts in Texas, to be named by the College Board to the AP Achievement List for broadening the number of students taking AP courses while at the same time increasing performance on the AP exams.
- State and National Recognition for UIL Programs Every Year
- The only district in Texas to have a TMEA Honor Choir at every level 3 out of the last 5 years
- Sunny Award for Top Governmental Transparency Website for 2011, 2012 & 2013 and the only school district in Texas to receive an “A+” rating last year
- In 2012, 1 of only 44 Districts in Texas to receive State Comptrollers Gold Designation every year; 2014 Recipient of Platinum Designation
- Superior Rating on State's FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas) - We've received the highest rating every year since the inception of the program.
- 7 MISD Elementary Campuses Received Gold Awards in the HealthierUS School Challenge Initiative